Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A little love here, Gary Barta?

Weird news out of the UI yesterday... FireKirkFerentz.com, FireLisaBluder.com, and FireGaryBarta.com are no longer available for purchase. As a matter of fact, if you click on the sites, you'll be taken to an interesting destination. Go on, try it.

Yep--the athletic department bought the domains themselves. Interesting move, Barta. On one hand, it's a pre-emptive strike that may be tactically brilliant over the next few years. On the other hand, you're a (very) public university, and word got out awfully quickly about the purchase. Any other shaky votes of confidence you want to give your boys? Why don't you renew Kirk Ferentz's parking spot at the practice facility through, say, mid-October? That'd be about as supportive.

(Also, readers, if you think I'm not bitter that I didn't even get a warning--much less a cease and desist letter--from the athletic department, you're crazy.)

It occurred to me today that it's easily possible that Gary Barta hasn't seen this page yet. Gary. I know you google yourself (I mean search for yourself on google.com; that's not a euphemism for bedroom behavior) on a regular basis. Everyone does! And there I am, on the very first page of results! Just give it a click, you'll enjoy yourself (once again, not a euphemism, I'm just talking computers). Hell, I'll even give you your very own post to say whatever you want. Win-win. What do you say, Barta? Come on by.

[EDIT: The inimitable Wizard of Odds broke this story.]

2 comments:

Deacon said...

I'm still stumped on a good nickname for Mr. Gary Barta. I'm currently leaning toward Gabbo, but I'm willing to adopt something more involved and juvenile.

http://www.uifoundation.org/athletics/events/photos/miscellaneous/2006-kinnickrededication/kinnick028.jpg
If only that were him in the pinstriped pajamas, we'd have a winner.

Adam J said...

If "Blowsby" was so widespread, then I don't see why you can't take a few more steps down the maturity ladder and go with "Barfa." Really, if you're going to come up with ridiculous nicknames, I think you have to take it back to second grade.